Homemade Cinnamon Ornaments
Ingredients: cinnamon, applesauce, glue
Materials: measuring cup, tablespoon, bowl, spoon, cutting board, rolling pin, parchment paper, pencil, cookie / baking trays, cookie cutters (holiday), ribbons, glitter
1) Measure out a cup of cinnamon, a cup of applesauce
If you would like a larger batch, double it to 2 cups each (make sure it is always a 1:1 ratio)
2) Put the cinnamon and applesauce in a mixing bowl
3) Add 2 tablespoons of glue (preferably Elmer’s)
4) Mix it up!
5) Take the cinnamon / applesauce / glue mixture and plop it onto a cutting board (roll it out to be a quarter inch thick)
A quarter inch is best because otherwise it would be too thin and break, or too thick and not cook properly
6) Take holiday cookie cutters (reindeers, snowflakes, ornament shape, stars, and trees are always festive) to mold dough into shapes
7) Take all the wintery shaped ornaments and put onto parchment paper covered cookie or baking sheet tray
8) Make a decent-sized hole at the top of each ornament using a pencil tip (for attaching the ribbon later)
Note: when you make a tiny hole, it can close up while baking, so be generous The Bake:
For the perfect ornaments, bake the trays on a low heat (200 degrees) for three hours. After that, leave them to cool and air out for a day. Once they are dried, take colorful ribbon (blue, red, silver, gold, green, any holiday-centric color) and loop through the pencil hole. Then apply glitter glue and add designs to each ornament (red or green really pops against the dark, cinnamon-y base).